The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Senior Title Examiner / Title Officer opportunity, you should have:
- At least ten years of experience in the real property or title insurance industry, including experience with high value commercial transactions. A background including diverse transactions would be a plus.
- A bachelor's degree OR a combination of education and relevant experience; a JD is a plus.
- Strong familiarity with real property law.
- Title examination experience is highly preferred.
- Strong mentorship skills and a flexible, team-player approach.
- The ability to read, speak, write and understand English well, including usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- A demonstrated ability to utilize computer software typical in the insurance and title industries.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to represent our organization professionally in interactions with clients and other external contacts.
- Solid organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple activities and priorities in order to meet deadlines.
- A positive, upbeat attitude.
The RoleReporting to the Operations Manager/Chief Title Officer, as Senior Title Examiner / Title Officer, you will mentor and assist a growing Title team and staff, including an Advisory Title Officer, Title Examiners, Title Assistants, Title Searchers and others. You will spend approximately 50% of your time coaching and supporting the team, acting as a technical resource and providing hands-on assistance, such as research. You will work as an Examiner the other 50%. In our organization, all levels, including your supervisor, do Examiner work at times and you can expect that work to be a bit heavier initially as you're learning the company and our processes. Externally, you will act as the "face" of First American Title Company of Napa with regard to all title transactions, interacting with clients and others.
Projects will vary significantly in value, complexity, and time. We typically handle all underwriting in house for projects up to $5 million in value, but we also manage projects of much greater value. Many, but not all, involve commercial wineries. At any given time you will have multiple projects underway; some close over the course of six months, but some can close in two weeks.
More specifically, you will:
- Provide advisory title support to other Title Officers, Escrow Officers, principals and their agents regarding department transactions.
- Complete Request for Authorization To Issue for high liability transactions and Project Data Reports for mechanic's lien risk analysis.
- Complete underwriting of transactions, coordinating with company legal counsel and client's attorneys as necessary.
- Review and evaluate closing documents and policy write-ups.
- Evaluate ALTA/ACSM Land Title surveys. You may perform site inspections for extended coverage transactions.
- Coordinate special project transactions with Escrow and other departments. This will involve anticipating and communicating company requirements, especially with regards to best practices and other mandated programs, to provide for a smooth closing.
- Participate in and support business development activities and related customer seminars.
- Help support our training program to groom in-house talent for future roles.
- Leverage a tracking system for the efficient production of preliminary title reports.
- Take on other responsibilities as may be required and requested.
More Reasons to Join UsNo two transactions the same
The real estate market in Napa is unlike anywhere else, and we think it's lots of fun. Each project will bring unique challenges and opportunities to expand your knowledge and experience. Our clients are diverse and there is strong interest in Napa from international investors.
Share your knowledge
We are always open to improving processes and efficiency. We're interested in your good ideas and you'll have the opportunity influence operations as the department and company grows.
Commitment to being the best
We understand the pivotal role our people play in our success, and we take a proactive approach to attracting and retaining top talent. In addition to promoting a collaborative and positive environment, we encourage professional development. Not only are we growing, but we are also growing right, based on a strategic vision. Sustained growth will create opportunities for strong performers.
Great place to live and work
With picturesque landscapes at just about every turn, mild winters, and warm summers, Napa offers an exceptionally high quality of life. Here you will find great schools as well as plenty of opportunity to enjoy world-class food and wine. The economy is strong in agriculture, but it's also diverse. We've seen plenty of growth and development, but the County also has worked to preserve large tracts of agricultural land. There is plenty to do here, such as visit the hot spring spas in Calistoga, or attend the many wine, music, and film fairs and festivals. Within driving distance are San Francisco, Marin, and East Bay attractions, as well as Sonoma County, Lake Berryessa, and other getaway destinations.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus incentive program, we offer group medical insurance plans, life insurance, a flexible spending program and profit sharing, along with a generous allowance of paid time off.
Pictured: Transactions will involve a broad array of properties. Napa boasts diverse and unique architecture, from elegant styles like the chateau at Domaine Carneros to artistic approaches like the modernist mosaics at Quixote Winery. These photos are provided purely as illustration of the diversity in Napa, and their inclusion here does not imply that these properties are on the market.
Keys to SuccessThis is a busy department, and you will work with people throughout First American Title Company of Napa, as well as with multiple external entities. You'll need to be able to "keep a lot of balls in the air," ensuring projects move forward and helping the team meet its responsibilities.
Your technical knowledge will be essential, but you will also need to be willing to jump in where needed. The Title team will come to you with questions and for guidance. To be effective you will remain current on emerging trends and best practices in title processing. You will need to jump as needed and be willing to wear multiple hats.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Senior Title Examiner / Title Officer, you will:
- Grasp the bigger picture but also pay attention to the details.
- Keep a constant eye out for opportunities to improve processes and performance.
- Help the team grow and develop professionally.
- Combine creativity and an analytical mindset when solving problems.
- Bring high energy and a strong work ethic.
About First American Title Company of NapaProfessionalism · Integrity · Community · Stability · Dedication
As Napa County's leading Title and Escrow Company, First American Title Company of Napa has been an integral part of our local real estate community for more than a half century. Founded in 1963 by Lyle Axel and Vinton Dutcher as an agent of Stewart Title, the company has seen its fair share of change, good times, and difficult times. Together, Lyle and Vinton had a vision of a company that provided the finest quality of service to their clients and security for their employees. They, along with a small staff of dedicated individuals, set out on the mission to make the vision a reality. It was in 1966 that the company changed its name to First American Title Company of Napa. Two years later the company's future owner, the late Ivan Hartzell, joined the company. Through the hard work and sacrifices of these individuals, and those that came after them, First American Title Company of Napa became the leading title company in the Napa Valley.
Today, we choose to continue our dedication to the same principles and values upon which this company was founded and prospered. We are a team committed to excellence, to customer satisfaction, to honesty, to integrity, and to maintaining our leadership in the industry. We are enthusiastic professionals who address our clients' concerns, make their priorities our priorities, and provide them with creative solutions.